Thursday, July 9, 2009

"Even in a world as strange as this one, a mouse and a princess cannot marry."



The house is finally peaceful; quiet except for the sound of my washing machine.  Lincoln is sleeping.  Cooper is sleeping.  Mercedes is on the couch and very soon will be sleeping (doesn't normally nap but has been spending her nights coughing).  Wish I could be sleeping!

Mercedes and I just finished reading "The Tale of Despereaux" together.  I'm so glad that I didn't watch the movie before I read the book, and I'm glad that I restrained myself from reading ahead on my own.  It was completely wonderful; and yes, I did cry at the end.  It was a good cry, though.  I'm sure that the theme of good and evil (in the form of: light and dark, forgiveness and torment, love and hatred) passed over her head, but I sure did enjoy it!

I've always loved to read, and since I was in high school have looked forward to reading "real books" with my kids.  The time is finally here and I am loving it.  So far, we've read all of the Junie B. Jones books (that girl is hilarious) and we're moving on to the "Magic Treehouse" series.  

Can't wait until she's ready for Harry Potter... now that will be a blast.

No comments: