Sunday, June 27, 2010

letters from Khandahar


Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
I am officially without responsibility now. I have no job and no calling in the church any longer here.

I was suprised today to learn that I was to be the primary speaker during sacrament meeting. I was under the impression that there would be three of us taking time to speak, but it turned out that one declined because he had spoken the previous week and the new branch president did not have much to say. That left me with about 20 minutes to fill with nothing but my testimony prepared. Fortunately, I have had lots to say since I became the Branch President in regards to getting through the deployment spiritually nourished. It was much like a King Benjamin address in that I covered many different topics that I wanted to make sure that they were clear on. I wanted them to know that I had a testimony of the gospel, of Jesus Christ, and His ability and desire to answer our individual prayers. It was quite the meeting. I sure enjoyed myself except for the fact that I have not figured out how to stop the flood gates from ever opening. SHEESH. If I could ever get through a talk without the streams of tears flowing down my face and nose that would be a MIRACLE. I do not know that I will ever get over that though. That is one prayer that I have not had answered yet. I guess it is one of those things that Heavenly Father just wants me to learn to accept and then perhaps it will go away.

I do feel fortunate for the testimony that I have though. Think of it. I just spoke in church for 20 minutes without a bit of prior preparation other than the daily scripture study and prayer. Heavenly Father makes it so this 33 y/o kid with no leadership experience could do what he was suppose to do. I definitely have learned from my experience out here about the gospel and the way that the spirit guides me personally. That is one of the priceless experiences that I will always be able to look back on. The great thing is that I wrote much of it down in my journal so that I have a record of what took place out here and many of the prayers that I have had answered.

Thank you for all of your support and prayers during the time that I have been away. As I have said before, I have actually felt your prayers on different occasions during my time out here. It is a remarkable experience to feel that half way around the world. Love you all.

-Brent

No comments: